Getting to Downtown Minneapolis From the Airport
Landing in a new city is stressful and having to navigate the airport can be confusing. Luckily getting to downtown Minneapolis from the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport is easy and quick. We have a few options that will take you where you need to go next, including Rideshare apps, Taxis and a Light Rail system. The MSP airport will be clearly labeled with signs on where to find each, but if you need a little more help, use this handy guide for getting to your destination.
Taking a taxi into Downtown Minneapolis is convenient since the drive is only 12 miles away from the airport. Fares may be a little higher than other options, but are still reasonable averaging around $39-$49.
To grab a taxi in Terminal 1 - follow signs for baggage claim and once there take the escalator down to the Tram Level (Level T). Signs will direct you to the Ground Transport Center one level up to the taxi starter booth, where airport staff will assist you in obtaining a taxi.
At Terminal 2, taxi service is available at the Ground Transport Center, located on the ground level of the Purple Ramp directly across from the terminal building.
Metro Transit Light Rail Train: Blue Line
The METRO Blue Line Light Rail (LRT) is the cheapest solution to get you downtown. The trains run every 12-15 minutes, starting at roughly 4:00am until 11:30pm. To get to downtown Minneapolis, it will probably take you around 25 minutes.
To find the Terminal 1 platform, follow signs to the baggage claim and then go down the escalator for the tram to the METRO Blue Line station. Take the Tram all way to the Red/Blue Ramps, then take the escalators down to the station platform.
Get to the Terminal 2 platform by taking the escalator near Ticketing to the Orange Ramp skyway. From there, follow signs to the LRT station and then go down one level to the platform.
Tickets/Pricing: Purchase tickets at a ticket machine, which can be found on the platform or through the Metro Transit app. A one-way trip downtown will cost you $2.50 during rush hour times and $2.00 at all other times. Tickets are valid for 2.5 hours.
Minneapolis Convention Center: The METRO Blue Line does not take you directly to the Minneapolis Convention Center. However, it is a 16-20 minute walk from either the Nicollet Mall Station or Government Plaza Station. Otherwise you can take a Free bus ride boarding next to Nicollet Mall Station. Look for buses along Nicollet marked "Free Ride." Other buses on Nicollet, and all within the Downtown Zone, charge 50¢. Free-ride buses leave every 10 minutes on weekdays and every 15 to 30 minutes on weekends. Buses on Nicollet stop every other block between 5th and 13th Streets. Find more information on getting to the Minneapolis Convention Center.
There are 5 downtown METRO stops. You will find plenty of nearby hotels at each station, although you may need to walk a little further to reach them. If you are staying at a downtown hotel, here's how far a walk you can expect if you decide to travel by train:
U.S Bank Stadium Station
- Radisson Red (4-5 minute walk from station)
- Canopy by Hilton (4-5 minute walk from station)
- Moxy Minneapolis Downtown (4 minute walk from station)
- Aloft Minneapolis (6 minute walk from station)
Government Plaza Station
- Hyatt Place (5 minute walk from station)
- Best Western Normandy (6 minute walk from station)
- Elliot Park Hotel (8 minute walk from station)
- LuMINN (4 minute walk from station)
- Hyatt Centric (7 minute walk from station)
- Emery Hotel (4 minute walk from station)
- Tru by Hilton (7 minute walk from station)
- Residence Inn (9 minute walk from station)
- Renaissance Minneapolis (10 minute walk from station)
Nicollet Mall Station
- Westin Hotel (2 Minute walk from station)
- Marquette Hotel (4 minute walk from station)
- W Minneapolis – The Foshay (6 minute walk from station)
- Residence Inn ( 7 Minute walk from station)
- Rand Tower Hotel (1 minute walk from station)
- Marriot City Center (5 minute walk from station)
- Royal Sonesta (5 minute walk from station)
Hennepin Ave/Warehouse District Station
- Loews (3 minute walk from station)
- Embassy Suites (3 minute walk from station)
- Hampton Inn & Suites (6-7 minute walk from station)
- AC Marriot (4 minute walk from station)
- Cambria Hotel (8 minute walk from station)
Target Field Station
- Element (1-2 minute walk from station)
- Hewing Hotel (6 minute walk from station)
- Towne Place Suites (9 minute walk from station)