How to Enjoy and Donate to Minneapolis' Arts & Culture Scene
Come together and support the local Minneapolis arts scene. From live streamed shows to interactive content, online shopping and learning opportunities, the Minneapolis arts are going digital. Fill your time with some offerings below and if you are able, please consider donating to businesses and artists so they can keep their (currently figurative) doors open and you can continue to engage with them in person when the time comes!
Museums & Art
- Minnesota Historical Society & History Center: explore MNHS History at Home and MNopedia (the historical society's digital encyclopedia) and take your learning online. MNHS has also made its award-winning “Northern Lights” Interactive eBook free for all. Continue to get updates during this time.
- Somali Museum of Minnesota: offering YouTube videos to watch while at home, with exciting content being added soon.
- Minneapolis Institute of Art: explore Mia at Home - view the art collection, listen to podcasts, watch videos, and learn about art—wherever you are—as we do our part to inspire and connect. Continue to get updates during this time.
- Weisman Art Museum: presents WAM@Home! Find kid-friendly activities, virtual tours of the museum’s exhibitions, livestream studio visits and conversations, and thoughtful writing that engages the present moment.
- Northrup King Art Building: Visit their artist directory and support Minneapolis artists at the Northrup King Building.
- Walker Art Center: offering digital exhibitions, online talks and events, films, new articles, activities and more.
- North East Minneapolis Arts Association: promoting classes and artists virtual offers online!
- American Swedish Institute: explore ASI's extra/ordinary exhibition online and sign up for online language classes
- The Museum of Russian Art: take a virtual 360º tour of the museum or view some online exhibitions until you can make it there in person!
- Art-a-Whirl: The popular Minneapolis art crawl has gone virtual this year, expanding beyond just one weekend. It will include hundreds of online artists shops, online art demonstrations and virtual studio tours.
Theater & Dance
- Brave New Workshop: watch a collection of BNW's digital series on YouTube. The series promises to bring all-new original episodes filled with humor, storytelling, and exclusive interviews.
- South Asian Arts & Theater House: offering Bollywood dance classes online. Thursday evenings intermediate level choreography; Saturday morning Desi HIIT Dance Workout, and Ballet and Bharatnatyam Technique Classes on Wednesdays! Donations welcome.
- MSP Film Society: now turning virtual cinema. Find online screenings of multiple films now!
- Walking Shadow Theatre Company: is focusing on live and archival digital performances, check out what they have playing each month.
- Fantastic Voyage Improv: tune in for comedy and improv shows on every Wednesday at 7 pm, or watch past performances!
- Theater of Public Policy: doing weekly live shows every season!
- Bad Poets Society: bringing their shows to a screen near you.
- Stages Theatre Company: launched Out of the Box productions that bring one-of-a-kind theatre experiences designed to engage youth audiences in the magic of storytelling. Not just “click and watch” experiences, but interactive adventures, unlocking participation into a journey that’s unique to you.
- Z Puppets Rosenschnoz: now offers virtual performances, programs and workshops.
- History Theatre: Streaming online shows that explore Minnesota's past and the diverse American experience.
- Guthrie Theater: offering a few select virtual shows, and virtual classes for adults, youth and native artists. Have gift cards to purchase and an online shopping store for merchandise.
- Jungle Theater: featuring exciting new productions from new playwrights that challenge and spark conversations while being enjoyed in the comfort of one’s own home.
- The Cedar: Has created the Cedar Public Access Channel, an online content stream of interactive concerts, discussions, interviews, archival recordings, education programs, and more, all planned and produced by artists in collaboration with The Cedar. Tune in Thursday every month at 7:30pm, on Facebook or YouTube for a unique livestream or recorded premiere.
- First Avenue: watch the new documentary aired on TPT celebrating First Ave's 50-year Anniversary! 50th anniversary shirts and crewnecks are now available for purchase!
- Minnesota Orchestra: Minnesota Orchestra at Home offers digital content including video, audio and educational materials through the categories of Watch, Listen and Learn, including videos from the Orchestra’s archives and newly-created “mini-concerts” directly from the homes of Orchestra musicians. Get updates on concerts and other information during this time. Conductor Sarah Hicks hosts a concert video experience for students in grades 3 through 6 that explores a variety of American music performed by Minnesota Orchestra musicians. Discover information on the featured composers and special multi-sensory activities from Twin Cities partners. It's available on-demand (free!) for one year.
- The Warming House: Hosting community events over Zoom including: workshops for songs in progress and "open mics" for local talent. Events are free or pay what you want.
- The Dakota: is streaming a few shows throughout the rest of the year.