How to Enjoy and Donate to Minneapolis' Arts & Culture Scene
Come together and support the local Minneapolis arts scene. From live streamed shows to interactive content, online shopping and learning opportunities, the Minneapolis arts are going digital. Fill your time with some offerings below and if you are able, please consider donating to businesses and artists so they can keep their (currently figurative) doors open and you can continue to engage with them in person when the time comes!
Museums & Art
- Minnesota Historical Society & History Center: explore MNHS History at Home and MNopedia (the historical society's digital encyclopedia) and take your learning online. MNHS has also made its award-winning “Northern Lights” Interactive eBook free for all. Continue to get updates during this time.
- Somali Museum of Minnesota: offering YouTube videos to watch while at home, with exciting content being added soon.
- Minneapolis Institute of Art: explore Mia at Home - view the art collection, listen to podcasts, watch videos, and learn about art—wherever you are—as we do our part to inspire and connect. Continue to get updates during this time.
- Weisman Art Museum: presents WAM@Home! Find kid-friendly activities, virtual tours of the museum’s exhibitions, livestream studio visits and conversations, and thoughtful writing that engages the present moment.
- Northrup King Art Building: participate in the NKB Art Sprawl (virtual edition) now through April 6th! Visit their artist directory and support Minneapolis artists at the Northrup King Building.
- Science Museum of Minnesota: try out three fun and simple science experiments for all ages! Need more ideas? Check out the Science Museum's Learn From Home offerings.
- Walker Art Center: offering digital exhibitions, online talks and events, films, new articles, activities and more.
- North East Minneapolis Arts Association: promoting classes and artists virtual offers online!
- American Swedish Institute: explore ASI's extra/ordinary exhibition online and sign up for online language classes
- Bakken Museum: engage with science, technology, engineering, and math wherever you are! Enjoy the Bakken Museum's online learning resources, which include videos, experiments, challenges, and audio tours.
- The Museum of Russian Art: take a virtual 360º tour of the museum until you can make it there in person!
- Art-a-Whirl: The popular Minneapolis art crawl has gone virtual this year, expanding beyond just one weekend. It will include hundreds of online artists shops, online art demonstrations and virtual studio tours.
Theater & Dance
- Brave New Workshop: enjoy BNW's new digital series! The series promises to bring all-new original episodes filled with humor, storytelling, and exclusive interviews LIVE every Saturday Night at 8 pm Central Time, viewable on Facebook Live and on their website.
- South Asian Arts & Theater House: offering Bollywood dance classes online on March 26, 28, April 2 and 16. Thursday evenings intermediate level choreography; Saturday mornings easier choreography, Divya Maiya leads you step by step! Donations welcome.
- MSP Film Society: now turning virtual cinema. Find online screenings of multiple films now!
- Walking Shadow Theatre Company: on their Facebook page, watch Charlie Bethel's Beowulf (live and virtual) on April 2nd and 4th at 8 pm and April 5th at 2 pm
- Fantastic Voyage Improv: tune in for comedy and improv shows on every Wednesday at 7 pm, or watch past performances!
- Theater of Public Policy: their spring season is headed to livestream!
- Bad Poets Society: bringing their shows to a screen near you.
- Stages Theatre Company: just launched Beyond the Stage, offering free virtual theatre activities, classes and learning opportunities for ages 18 months to 18 years and will be designed to get our bodies, voices and imaginations moving and creating!
- Z Puppets Rosenschnoz: now offers an online, on-demand pay-what-you-can audio puppetry experience intertwining stories of the crossing of the Red Sea and the Trail of Tears, showing nightly at 8 pm through May 1st.
- History Theatre: join their virtual gala on April 4th, from 9 am to 9 pm.
- First Avenue: watch the new documentary aired on TPT celebrating First Ave's 50-year Anniversary! 50th anniversary shirts and crewnecks are now available for purchase!
- Minnesota Orchestra: Minnesota Orchestra at Home offers digital content including video, audio and educational materials through the categories of Watch, Listen and Learn, including videos from the Orchestra’s archives and newly-created “mini-concerts” directly from the homes of Orchestra musicians. Get updates on concerts and other information during this time.
More Arts & Culture
- The Loft Literary Center: the Loft's 2020 Wordplay festival will now be a virtual celebration of books, collaborating with their literary community to bring you live video conversations, podcasts, visual arts, author Q&As, playlists, social media takeovers, and other creative content! Learn more about the 2020 Wordplay festival and other measure The Loft is taking for classes and more.
- Art Connects Us: Whether you're taking a walk, bike ride or just going for a drive through the city, keep an eye out for some new features on billboards around the Twin Cities. Between April 15th-May 31st, 2020, you will find ten works of original artwork by Minnesota-based artists featured on digital billboards across the region with messages of hope and gratitude to those who are working on the front lines during the stay-at-home period of the COVID-19 pandemic. On display from April 15th-May 31st, 2020, the billboards will be displayed throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul area!