Union Depot to Host Ceremonial Holiday Tree Lighting and Celebration on December 2 as it Transforms Into “Hub for the Holidays”
WHAT: Union Depot’s majestic holiday tree was cut, delivered, and installed in front of the 1920s era train station on Nov. 19. The tree was donated by New Brighton residents Nancy and Jim McCann who responded to the call last August for a holiday tree to adorn the North Plaza at Union Depot. The magnificent tree will be lighted in an annual celebration on Friday, December 2, adding to the festivities that will begin on December 1 as the Hub for the Holidays calendar of events officially kick off at Union Depot. The day will also include the European Christmas Market, live entertainment, a visit by Santa, a free holiday movie, and the North Pole Express holiday train.
“I invite all families to join the free holiday tree lighting and celebration at Union Depot,” said Rafael E. Ortega, chairman, Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority, who will officially flip the switch to light up the tree. “The free entertainment, spectacular tree lighting and holiday movie are a perfect opportunity for a fun Friday night on the town for all ages.”
WHEN: Friday, December 2 (Holiday Tree Lighting events begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Head House with a holiday musical performance by the six-person acapella group Six Appeal, holiday activities, and refreshments for purchase; at 7:00 p.m. guests will move outdoors to the North Plaza for the tree lighting celebration, followed by a fireworks display.)
WHERE: Union Depot, 210 4th St. E, St. Paul 55101
EVENT SCHEDULE ON DECEMBER 2:
- European Christmas Market from 4:00-9:00 p.m. on the Union Depot East Plaza with more than double the number of vendors from the previous year, refreshments available for purchase, and an appearance by Santa from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Holiday Tree Lighting celebration begins at 5:30 p.m. in the Head House with refreshments available for purchase; live holiday music performance by Six Appeal at 6:30 p.m.; guests move outdoors to the North Plaza at 7:00 for the tree lighting, followed by a short fireworks display.
- Free Holiday Movie Night with a showing of Elf at 7:30 p.m. on the big screen in the Waiting Room. Bring lawn chairs for seating. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
- Donations of toys, food shelf items and new and gently used mittens, hats, scarves and boots will be accepted Dec. 1 - 11 to benefit Merrick Community Services. (http://www.merrickcs.org/)
- Metro Transit is offering a free ride pass to each person attending the Dec. 2 event. Passes may be downloaded at https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=147950474705.
Other “Hub for the Holidays” Happenings at Union Depot:
The Holiday Tree Lighting Celebration will highlight the many other holiday festivities happening at Union Depot, including the European Christmas Market (Dec. 1-4 and Dec. 8-11); North Pole Express Holiday Train (Dec. 1-4 and Dec. 8-11); Holiday Movie Nights (Dec. 2-3); CP Holiday Train (Dec. 9); and Holiday Bake Sale (Dec. 10). For more information about Union Depot’s holiday events, please visit www.uniondepot.org/holiday or http://www.facebook.com/uniondepot. For ticketing on the North Pole Express holiday train, visit their website at https://261.com/north-pole-express/.