For Immediate Release
Cathy Kennedy, Cathryn Kennedy Consulting - 612-309-3951
Pam McCarthy-Kern, Cathryn Kennedy Consulting - 612-360-0647
Union Depot to Host Annual Train Day Event with 2 Locomotives, 6 Rail Cars,
Rail-Themed Activities and Entertainment for the Whole Family
May 9 Marks First Time the Great Northern 400 (Hustle Muscle) and a Modern BNSF Locomotive Will Appear Together at the Historic Venues Platform
ST. PAUL, Minn. (May 1, 2015) Union Depot in downtown St. Paul will host its annual Train Day event on Saturday, May 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. with rail-themed activities and entertainment for all ages. There will be five restored vintage rail cars and a brand new Amtrak baggage car specially equipped for those traveling with bicycles. Several rail cars will be open to the public. A modern BNSF Railway locomotive will be displayed on the track with the Great Northern 400 (Hustle Muscle), marking the first time a BNSF Railway locomotive is appearing at Union Depot since the venue reopened following an extensive restoration.
Childrens favorites Choo Choo Bob and Cannonball Paul will perform throughout the day and the St. Paul Saints mascot Mudonna will meet guests. Additionally, there will be a photo exhibit featuring images of trains, educational programming and tasty offerings from Christos and food trucks.
Visitors are encouraged to pick up a Train Day ticket at the Union Depot booth and have it stamped at different stations throughout the day. While supplies last, each fully stamped ticket can be exchanged for a Union Depot t-shirt. All fully stamped tickets will be entered into a drawing for additional prizes.
Below is a list of activities happening at the event:
- Displays of Minnesota Transportation Museums vintage 1966 Great Northern 400 Hustle Muscle and 1951 Empire Builder coach car
- Minnesota Transportation Museums diesel engine simulator to test your skills
- Four restored vintage cars from The Friends of the 261 will be open for tours
- A new Amtrak baggage car with bike racks will be open for viewing
- A modern BNSF Railway locomotive will be on display
- Photo exhibit of trains at Union Depot (Waiting Room)
- Choo Choo Bob performing on the East Plaza
- Cannonball Pauls duo performing on the train platform
- St. Paul Saints mascot Mudonna meet-and-greet from 2-3 p.m.
- Educational programming in the Waiting Room will include Operation Lifesaver, the National Park Services Trails and Rails partnership with Amtrak, and a Dakota County Technical College presentation about Railroad Conductor Technology
- Refreshments for purchase at Christos in the Head House and from Gastrotruck and Sizzlin Wagon food trucks on the East Plaza
- Union Depots Bee Line Honey and Honey Bon Bons will be on sale at the Honey Pop-up Shop
- Metro Transit games and prizes and meet-and-greet with mascot Skip
- Megabus games with prizes including a pair of roundtrip megabus.com tickets
- Car2Go photo booth with fun props
- Nice Ride bicycle slow races on the North Plaza
- Free vintage bus rides between Union Depot and the Jackson Street Roundhouse
- Lite Brite relighting celebration at 1 p.m. in the Concourse
- Lite Brite selfie promotion in which guests can post a photo of themselves with the Lite Brite installation on Facebook and tag #UDlitebrite to be entered to win a Lite Brite set (entries accepted May 9-25)
- And MORE!
Union Depots Train Day is free and open to the public. For more information, please visit www.uniondepot.org/trainday.
Getting to Union Depot
Bicycle parking is located at the East Plaza/bus platform, North Plaza/4th Street, Kellogg entrances, Rail View Picnic Area and throughout the parking facilities
Daily service to bus platform on Metro Transit buses 21 and 54, Metro Transit buses 63 and 70 stop at the corner of Kellogg Boulevard and Broadway Street
Daily service on Metro Transit's Green Line
Union Depot parking facilities and electric vehicle charging stations
Zipcar and Car2Go
About UNION DEPOT...The beautifully renovated Union Depot, originally built in the 1920s, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and certified LEED® Gold in 2014. Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority (RCRRA) owns Union Depot which offers a full complement of transportation services: Amtrak, Green Line, Jefferson Lines, Greyhound, megabus.com, Metro Transit and MVTA buses, car sharing (Zipcar and Car2Go), and parking - including electric vehicle charging and bicycle storage. JLL, under contract with RCRRA, is responsible for management of Union Depot and creating a community gathering place at this historic landmark. For more information, go to uniondepot.org.
JLL (NYSE: JLL) is a professional services and investment management firm offering specialized real estate services to clients seeking increased value by owning, occupying and investing in real estate. With annual fee revenue of $4.7 billion and gross revenue of $5.4 billion, JLL has more than 230 corporate offices, operates in 80 countries and has a global workforce of approximately 58,000. On behalf of its clients, the firm provides management and real estate outsourcing services for a property portfolio of 3.4 billion square feet, or 316 million square meters, and completed $118 billion in sales, acquisitions and finance transactions in 2014. Its investment management business, LaSalle Investment Management, has $53.6 billion of real estate assets under management. JLL is the brand name, and a registered trademark, of Jones Lang LaSalle Incorporated. For further information, visit www.jll.com.