GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. (April 10, 2019) — Minnesota United today announced plans for this weekend’s Allianz Field Inaugural Home Opener against New York City FC on Saturday, April 13. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m and the game will be broadcast to a national television audience on ESPN2. The club will host several events beginning on Friday, April 12 and leading up to kickoff on Saturday in order to celebrate a momentous day in Minnesota soccer history. All fans in attendance will receive an Allianz Field gift to commemorate the day, presented by Allianz.
FRIDAY, APRIL 12
Men in Blazers LIVE
7:00 p.m., Ordway Theater, Saint Paul
The English duo of Roger Bennett and Michael Davies have been providing wry soccer commentary since 2014 when Men in Blazers began as a podcast hosted by ESPN’s Grantland, eventually growing to include a cult television show on NBC Sports. Their recently published book, the Encyclopedia Blazertannica, was a New York Times Bestseller, and their 14-city tour of the United States last summer was sold out.
Special guest appearances by MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath, MLS Commissioner Don Garber, MNUFC Managing Partner Dr. Bill McGuire, Slug from Atmosphere and more. Limited tickets are still available and can be purchased from the Ordway website. The show will be available as a podcast April 13 at meninblazers.com.
SATURDAY, APRIL 13
MNUFC invites fans to make the most of their day by getting to the stadium early and participating in all of the events around gameday. The stadium will be opening early so fans can take advantage of special concession stand pricing and get a feel for the new stadium before settling in for the action.
In coordination with Minnesota United, the City of Saint Paul has put together a plan to provide safe and sustainable transportation to and from Allianz Field on gamedays. From park-and-ride to ride share to Metro Transit, check out all the transportation options for the home opener and beyond here.
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., McMurray Soccer Field, Saint Paul
Minnesota United is hosting a free soccer clinic the morning of the Allianz Field Inaugural Home Opener for kids from the neighborhoods surrounding the stadium. The clinic will be led by MNUFC Academy coaches with special guest appearances from MLS Commissioner Don Garber, MNUFC Managing Partner Dr. Bill McGuire and former MLS and NASL players. Transportation for the clinic participants will be provided by MN Coaches. Target is providing exclusive shirts for clinic participants.
MNUFC vs. NYCFC
- 11:30 a.m. Shuttle bus from State Fairgrounds begins. Bus leaves every 10- 15 minutes.
- 12:00–3:00 p.m. Streetmoshpere, North Plaza Beer Garden
- Enjoy live entertainment and food and beverage outside the stadium Seven local Twin Cities food trucks:
- Fare Well
- Los Ocampo
- Maui Wowi
- Sweet Gypsy Waffles
- West Indies Soul Food
- K-Town Street Food
- Black and Blue Merchandise Truck
- BAND: 4onthefloor from 12:45–1:30 p.m. and 2:45–3:15 p.m.
- DJ: DJ Advance from 12:00–12:45 p.m. and 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Bullseye Fan Zone – As an official sponsor of MLS and MNUFC, Target is hosting the Bullseye Fan Zone before the Inaugural Allianz Field Home Opener versus NYCFC. All fans are welcome to enjoy live entertainment, games, and giveaways, including a limited-edition pin and T-shirt designed by Matt Erickson, a local artist and MNUFC super fan. Fans can also share the experience on social media by posting with the hashtag #TargetGoals. The event will take place from 12:00 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday near the Great Lawn, located on the north side of Allianz Field. All giveaways are while supplies last.
- 1:30 p.m. Gates Open at Allianz Field Special pricing at concourse concession stands for first 30 minutes after gates open:
- 16 oz. Beer: $7.50-$11.00
- Pizza: $5.00
- Popcorn: $3.00
- Hot Dog: $4.50
- Bottle Soda: $4.00
- 2:30 p.m. – Supporters March to Allianz Field
- 4:13 p.m. – KICKOFF!
- Itasca Coin Toss: MNUFC Managing Partner Bill McGuire and MLS Commissioner Don Garber will join an Itasca Society member for the coin toss
- National Anthem: VocalEssence, brass players from Minnesota Orchestra and vocalist Aby Wolf
- 7:30 p.m. – Last shuttle bus to State Fairgrounds leaves Allianz Field
Download the new MNUFC Mobile App and get Minnesota United in the palm of your hand. Stay on top of news, updates, stats, roster information and league standings, plus access and manage your digital tickets beginning in late February. Available for iPhone and Android devices. Get the app at mnufc.com/app.