Minnesota Timberwolves Secured 2nd Most Likely Overall Draft Pick
Wolves Secure No. 7 Pick in 2017 NBA Draft
Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves received the seventh overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft at tonight's NBA Draft Lottery.Wolves forward Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 overall pick in 2014 and the 2014-15 KIA NBA Rookie of the Year, represented Minnesota at tonight's Draft Lottery held at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York City. The 2017 NBA Draft will be held on June 22 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, and broadcast by ESPN.
Originally slated to draft in the sixth position, the Timberwolves entered tonight's NBA Draft Lottery with a 33.09 percent chance of falling to seventh, making it statistically the second most likely result. The Wolves came into tonight with an 18.31 percent chance at landing a top-three pick, a 43.95 percent chance of remaining in their pre-lottery sixth slot and a 37.74 percent chance of moving back. Minnesota will select seventh for the third time in franchise history, previously selecting Luc Longley in 1991 and Corey Brewer in 2007.
The seventh pick in the NBA Draft has produced a number of star players over the years, including Stephen Curry, Richard Hamilton, Kevin Johnson, Chris Mullin and Alvin Robertson. Hall of Famer John Havlicek was chosen seventh overall in 1962.
The Wolves do not have a selection in the second round of this year’s draft.