May is Minneapolis Bike Month
May 1, 2017 (MINNEAPOLIS) Minneapolis Bike Month kicks off today with a series of events planned throughout the month celebrating cycling and encouraging new bikers to go for a ride.
Minneapolis is one of many communities across the country that celebrates biking the month of May. Presented by the City of Minneapolis, Hennepin County and the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition, highlights of Minneapolis Bike Month include:
- Monday, May 1: Kick-off ride from Gold Medal Park to East Lake Brewery (ride starts at 6 p.m.)
- Saturday, May 6: Women and Gender Non-Conforming Rider Day
- Wednesday, May 10: Bike to School Day
- Thursday, May 11: Nice Ride Day
- Friday, May 19: Twin Cities Bike to Work Day
- Saturday, May 27: Family Bike to Parks Day
Those who pledge online to participate in Twin Cities Bike to Work Day will be eligible to win prizes. Businesses and community groups can also learn about ways to encourage biking in their workplace and within their networks at www.mplsbikemonth.org.
The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition and its partners are also offering courses throughout the month for interested businesses, community groups and nonprofits. Courses cover tips on riding to work, basic bicycle maintenance, bicycling with kids, incorporating biking into transit trips and hosting group rides.
Minneapolis is one of the best biking cities in the country. As of 2016, Minneapolis has 135 miles of on-street bikeways and 100 miles of off-street bikeways. For more information about bicycling in the city, go to www.minneapolismn.gov/bicycles.