Cookers, prizes and JUDGING panel FOR
THE Great Midwest Rib Fest ANNOUNCED
PRIOR LAKE, Minn. July 15, 2014 Famous Daves and Old Southern BBQ Smokehouse founder Dave Anderson and returning head judge and James Beard nominee Jack Riebel are among a panel of five judges announced today for The Great Midwest Rib Fest, which will be held July 24-26 at Mystic Lake.
In its second year at Mystic Lake, the free event will feature 10 of the countrys best rib cookers, both returning and first-time competitors, vying for top prizes. Representing eight different states from across the Midwest, each of the festivals 10 rib cookers has been recognized for excellence within the industry.
A total of $15,000 in prizes will be awarded: $8,000 for 1st Place, $3,000 for 2nd Place, $2,000 for 3rd Place, $1,000 for 4th Place, $500 for 5th Place, and $500 for Best Sauce. The public is invited to vote for the Best of the Fest Award on Friday and Saturday. Rib contest prize winners and the peoples choice for Best of the Fest will be announced from the main stage at 3 p.m. on Sunday, July 26.
The event will feature an art festival, free outdoor music concerts, and specialty food tents in addition to ribs. More than 30,000 people attended the first annual event in 2014, where upwards of 17,000 pounds of ribs were served.
First-time judges Dave Anderson and KARE-11s Melissa Colorado will join the panel this year. Head judge Jack Riebel, Stephanie March, and Donald Gonzalez will return to the judging table. This years judges include:
- Head Judge Jack Riebel, former Executive Chef and co-founder of Butcher & the Boar (named the Star Tribunes 2012 Restaurant of the Year and James Beard Foundations Best New Restaurant semifinalist). Riebel was also a 2013 James Beard nominee for Best Chef: Midwest.
- Stephanie March, editor of Mpls./St. Paul Magazines Eat + Drink section and host of the Weekly Dish radio show.
- Donald Gonzalez, Executive Chef of Forepaughs. Chef Donald has worked with some of the best chefs in the country to form his own culinary concepts, and pairs the farm-to-table experience to feature a culinary celebration of all the distinct cultures that have melted down to become American Cuisine.
- Americas Rib King Dave Anderson, Minnesota local and iconic Famous Daves founder. Anderson recently founded a new venture, Old Southern BBQ Smokehouse, in Hayward, Wisconsin.
- Melissa Colorado, KARE-11 Sunrise reporter.
PARTICIPATING BARBECUE CONTESTANTS
Burr Ridge, IL
River Falls, WI
This free event is open to all ages. Guests must be 18 to gamble and 21 to purchase or consume alcohol. Visit mysticlake.com/midwestribfest for more information.
ABOUT MYSTIC LAKE CASINO HOTEL
Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, the premier gaming facility in the Midwest, continually creates new, fun and exciting entertainment experiences for its guests. Mystic Lake® offers gaming, three lively bars, exceptional dining at seven restaurants, headline performers, unique special events and luxurious accommodations. Located 25 minutes southwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul in Prior Lake.
Visit Mystic Lake in RiverSouthLand of Big Fun! RiverSouth? is a joint public-private collaboration promoting premier entertainment destinations just minutes from Minneapolis. With four of Minnesotas biggest attractions just four miles apart, theres fun around every bend. Partners include Canterbury Park, Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, Valleyfair®, the Renaissance Festival, Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, and the cities of Prior Lake and Shakopee.
Tammy Reed · 952-496-7212 · email@example.com