Minneapolis (Oct. 26, 2018) – Celebrate “Day of the Dead” with the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District and preview their upcoming Open District event, on Nov. 1, at Minneapolis Visitor Information at Nicollet and 5th Street. As part of its monthly “First Thursdays” event, visitors will be able to sample free pan de muerto (bread of the dead) and view an ofrenda (offerings on a ritual altar) by Northeast Minneapolis artist Gustavo Lira. In addition, there will be live art demonstrations and guests can purchase original art and meet local artists between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Pan de muerto, by Ecuadorian bakery Charito, located on Central Avenue in Northeast Minneapolis, will be available while supplies last. This “bread of the dead” is a traditional sweet roll that is eaten on Day of the Dead. The ofrenda will be unique to Minneapolis Visitor Information. A typical ofrenda display is a collection of objects set up to honor one’s ancestors on Day of the Dead in the Mexican tradition. Ofrenda means “offering” in Spanish.
During the upcoming “First Thursdays” event, visitors will also get a sneak peek at some of the art and artists they will find during the Open District event being held Nov. 2 - 4. Members of the arts organization will highlight such events and buildings as Art Attack at Northrup King building, Open Casket at Casket Arts building, California Dreamin’ at the California building and Art This Way at Solar Arts building.
When: Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Where: 505 Nicollet Mall, Suite 100, directly across from the METRO Nicollet station
What: Guests may:
- Preview the upcoming Open District event to be held Nov. 2 - 4
- View an ofrenda display created by Northeast Minneapolis artist Gustavo Lira
- Eat free pan de muerto (bread of the dead) by Northeast Minneapolis’ Ecuadorian bakery, Charito Enjoy live art demonstrations
- Purchase local art available for sale Register to win a pair of tickets to Theater Latte Da (need not be present to win)
First Thursdays are held each month to encourage residents, employees of downtown businesses and visitors to learn more about Minneapolis Visitor Information and its partners, Love From Minneapolis and Move Minneapolis, as well as highlight community organizations and events.
For more information and daily hours, visit www.minneapolis.org/visitor-information/
ABOUT MINNEAPOLIS VISITOR INFORMATION ON NICOLLET: SHOP. MOVE. FIND.
Minneapolis Visitor Information includes three services in one convenient location on Nicollet at 5th Street:
- Shop: Love From Minneapolis offers Minneapolis- and Minnesota-themed apparel, art, specialty foods, souvenirs and gifts, including many made by local artisans. Products are also available at: https://lovefromcompanies.com/shop-minneapolis.
- Move: Move Minneapolis (formerly the Commuter Connection) provides services to commuters, carpool information, transit passes, schedules and maps, MnPass and bicycling commuting information and accessories. Visitors seeking help with transit options should make this their first stop downtown.
- Find: Meet Minneapolis staff is available to answer questions, share visitor maps and provide suggestions about things to do in Minneapolis and the surrounding area. The Visitor Information Center in the Minneapolis Convention Center also is available to provide similar information to visitors and convention attendees.
ABOUT MEET MINNEAPOLIS
Meet Minneapolis is a private, not-for-profit, member-based association. It actively promotes and sells the Minneapolis area as a destination for conventions and meetings, works to maximize the visitor experience and markets the city as a desirable tourist destination to maximize the economic benefit to the greater Minneapolis area.
Meet Minneapolis is accredited by the Destination Marketing Accreditation Program (DMAP) of Destinations International
CONNECT WITH US
Online: www.minneapolis.org and for deals and exclusive experiences: http://go.minneapolis.org
On Facebook: www.facebook.com/meetminneapolis
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/meetminneapolis
On Instagram: www.instagram.com/meetminneapolis
Watch: You’ve never met a place quite like this
Kristen Montag, Meet Minneapolis Senior PR and Communications Manager, 612-767-8038, KristenM@minneapolis.org, @Minneapolis_PR on Twitter
Or email MeetMinneapolisPR@Minneapolis.org