Minneapolis Institute of Art to celebrate springtime with annual Art in Bloom festival
Art in Bloom 2017
March 29, 2017, MINNEAPOLIS—The Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia) will celebrate the arrival of spring by pairing thousands of flowers with timeless art for the annual Art in Bloom festival. Presented by Friends of the Institute and now in its 34th year, Art in Bloom will take place April 27–30, 2017. The four-day festival will showcase 165 fresh floral arrangements inspired by works of art in Mia’s collection. This year’s event highlights include a fashion show organized in conjunction with Fashion Week Minnesota, a new Friday evening event, and a series of lectures with celebrated speakers such as Princess Giorgiana Corsini of Florence, Italy. Art in Bloom is Mia’s most popular fundraiser, and last year’s event drew 38,000 visitors.
Now part of Fashion Week Minnesota, the Art in Bloom Fashion Show and Formal Luncheon takes place Friday, April 28, at 11:30 a.m. Produced by stylist Grant Whittaker and presented by the Galleria Edina, the event will feature spring trends, sumptuous color, and warm-weather styles from several Galleria Edina shops and independent designers. Guests will enjoy a sparkling wine reception in the museum’s Regis Fountain Court prior to the show. After the show, a multi-course Italian meal catered by D’Amico will be served in the Target Wing Reception Hall. Tickets to the Fashion Show and Formal Luncheon are $85.
Also new to Art in Bloom this year is an evening event celebrating the often overlooked carnation. On Friday, April 28, from 6 to 9 p.m., Carnation Appreciation welcomes visitors to Mia with a themed photobooth, cash bar, and lively atmosphere. Guests can also sign up for a workshop led by Erin Furey, art director, stylist, and former contributor to Martha Stewart Living, on how to make giant paper carnations. Admission to Carnation Appreciation is free, and the workshops are $20.
Mia continues its tradition of inviting distinguished speakers to lead lectures and demonstrations during Art in Bloom. Tickets are $25. This year’s speakers include:
- Livia Cetti, author of The Exquisite Book of Paper Flower Transformations, who is known for her high-style tissue and crepe paper flowers, is presenting “The Green Vase: The Art of Paper Flowers” on Thursday, April 27, at 10 a.m.
- Lindsey Taylor, floral stylist, landscape designer, and writer, is presenting “The Art of Inspiration” on Thursday, April 27, at 1 p.m. Taylor has selected four objects from Mia’s permanent collection to interpret through flowers. The arrangements will be auctioned as a fundraiser after the demonstration.
- Princess Giorgiana Corsini, expert on Italian Renaissance gardens and keeper of the nearly 400-year-old Tuscan garden at her family home in Florence, Italy, is presenting “Tuscan Gardens” on Friday, April 28, at 10 a.m.
Other accompanying programming includes special events, tours, and a corresponding store, the Art in Bloom Shop, located in the Cargill Gallery, just off the General Mills Lobby.
- Flowers After Hours, hosted by WCCO-TV morning news anchor Jason DeRusha, Thursday, April 27, from 5:30 to 9 p.m., free admission.
- Art in Bloom Family Event, Saturday, April 29, from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., free admission.
- Complimentary 45-minute docent tours of floral displays will take place throughout Art in Bloom. For a tour schedule, click here.
Proceeds from the ticketed lectures, demonstrations, and luncheons, as well as sales from the Art in Bloom Shop, provide the Friends of the Institute with funds to bring more than 81,000 school-aged children to the museum each year, and provide nearly 93,000 pre-K through grade 12 students with off-site arts education.
Visit the Art in Bloom page on Mia’s website for the complete 2017 Art in Bloom program and ticket information. General admission to Art in Bloom is free.
Lead Sponsor: Bachman’s
Honorary Chair: Mary Agnes McQuinn
Event Co-Chairs: Kris King, Teresa Pfister
Sponsors: Galleria Edina, Martha Head, Lakewood Cemetery, Michael Birt, dedicated to Ann Birt, Cabrio Design, LLC