2019 NCAA Final Four Minneapolis Local Organizing Committee shares MN Bracket Challenge of notable Minnesotans
MINNEAPOLIS (March 16, 2017) – The Minneapolis Local Organizing Committee for the 2019 Final Four is celebrating March Madness by following the basketball tournament bracket picks of prominent Minnesotans. For the “MN Bracket Challenge,” the committee has assembled bracket picks from James Beard Award-nominated chefs, leading figures from Minnesota's sports franchises, sports journalists, elected officials and music artists. Even Minnesota icons Paul Bunyan and Betty Crocker are in on the action. Here’s a complete list of participants:
- Minneapolis Mayor: Mayors Hodges
- State Government: Governor Mark Dayton and Chief Inclusion Officer, James Burroughs
- Sports Mascots: Timberwolves Mascot Crunch and Nordy of the Wild
- Music: Roderick Cox, MN Orchestra, Nate Kranz, Manager of First Avenue, Hip-Hop Artist and Performer, Dessa
- Sports Franchises: Kevin Warren, COO, MN Vikings, Dave St Peter, President of the Twins,
- Sports Journalism: Marcus R. Fuller, Star and Tribune and Justin Ellis, Editor, ESPN Magazine
- Coaches: MN United's Adrian Heath and MN Lynx, Cheryl Reeve
- Minnesota Icons: Paul Bunyan and Betty Crocker
- Award winning food and cuisine: Michelle Gayer of Salty Tart, Erick Harsey of Upton 43, Alex Roberts of Restaurant Alma, Jorge Guzman of Surly Brewer's Table and Ann Kim of Pizza Lola and Young Joni
"During the month of March, everyone's a fan of college basketball,” said Kate Mortenson, president and CEO, Minneapolis Local Organizing Committee. “The quality of play and bracket-busting drama are just infectious. We find it a great opportunity to highlight the diversity of our region's people and talents, as well as our shared love of March Madness. Personally, I think Betty Crocker's bracket is looking very strong."
A complete listing of the participants, and the progress of their brackets throughout March, can be found on the committee's Facebook page: Final Four--Minneapolis (http://bit.ly/2nh42bh).
2019 NCAA Final Four Event Overview
In 2014, Minneapolis was named by the NCAA to host the 2019 Men’s Final Four. Millions of fans from around the globe will track this signature celebration of collegiate athletic competition by following “the road to Minneapolis™.” Events that comprise the Final Four include:
- Semifinal and Championship games played in U.S. Bank Stadium
- A three-day Music Festival with national acts that is free and open to the public
- A family-friendly Fan Fest, which celebrates all things college basketball
- A special lunch celebration welcoming player families
- Myriad other events and activities during the year leading up to the event to engage youth, promote student athletic competition and build excitement throughout the host region
About the Minneapolis Local Organizing Committee
The Minneapolis Local Organizing Committee (MLOC) was formed to plan and deliver the Men’s Final Four in Minneapolis as a local partner to the NCAA. The committee includes the University of Minnesota as the host institution, Sports Minneapolis and Meet Minneapolis as liaisons to the city and hospitality community and the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, representing the game venue, U.S. Bank Stadium.