We all can get a little stir crazy during this time of social distancing, self isolation and extended shut downs. So after the 5th show you binge watched this week you might be thinking it's time to start spending your time elsewhere! Thankfully, Minneapolis has plenty of activities and online resources to keep you and your mind busy. Play games, learn new things, or even enjoy the beautiful outdoors without having to leave your couch!
Learning, Activities & Games
- Minnesota Historical Society & History Center: explore MNHS History at Home and MNopedia (the historical society's digital encyclopedia) and take your learning online. MNHS has also made its award-winning “Northern Lights” Interactive eBook free for all. Continue to get updates during this time.
- Minneapolis Institute of Art: discover Mia at Home - view the art collection, listen to podcasts, watch videos, and learn about art—wherever you are—as we do our part to inspire and connect. Continue to get updates during this time.
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden: enjoy the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden from the privacy of your own home. Explore the garden and learn more about each sculpture as you go!
- Weisman Art Museum: presents WAM@Home! Find kid-friendly activities, virtual tours of the museum’s exhibitions, livestream studio visits and conversations, and thoughtful writing that engages the present moment.
- Science Museum of Minnesota: try out three fun and simple science experiments for all ages! Need more ideas? Check out the Science Museum's Learn From Home offerings.
- Walker Art Center: offering digital exhibitions, online talks and events, films, new articles, activities and more. Check out Dialogues and Film Retrospectives: The First Thirty Years, and explore more than 60 in-depth portraits of directors, actors, writers and producers celebrated in the Walker Cinema.
- American Swedish Institute: explore ASI's virtual handmade crafts lesson, cooking classes, or sign up to learn Swedish.
- Bakken Museum: engage with science, technology, engineering, and math wherever you are! Enjoy the Bakken Museum's online learning resources, which include videos, experiments, challenges, and audio tours.
- South Asian Arts & Theater House: offering dance classes online twice a week - Thursday evenings intermediate level choreography; Saturday mornings easier choreography, Divya Maiya leads you step by step! Donations welcome.
- Stages Theatre Company: just launched Beyond the Stage, offering free virtual theatre activities, classes and learning opportunities for ages 18 months to 18 years and will be designed to get our bodies, voices and imaginations moving and creating!
- Trapped Puzzle Rooms: offering mystery night boxes for rent and audio escape rooms!
- Cooks of Crocus Hill: learn some new techniques and meals short cooking online!
Virtual Tours, Performances and Streaming
- Somali Museum of Minnesota: offering YouTube videos to watch while at home, with exciting content being added soon.
- The Museum of Russian Art: take a virtual 360º tour of the museum until you can make it there in person!
- Brave New Workshop: enjoy BNW's new digital series! The series promises to bring all-new original episodes filled with humor, storytelling, and exclusive interviews LIVE every Saturday Night at 8 pm Central Time, viewable on Facebook Live and on their website.
- MSP Film Society: now turning virtual cinema. Find online screenings of multiple films now!
- Fantastic Voyage Improv: tune in for comedy and improv shows on every Wednesday at 7 pm, or watch past performances!
- Theater of Public Policy: their fall and winter seasons are headed to livestream!
- Northrop Theater: has added educational experiences for online viewing. Check out their line-up which includes everything from cooking classes to films, to happy hour with film directors.
- First Avenue: watch the new documentary aired on TPT celebrating First Ave's 50-year Anniversary!
- Minnesota Orchestra: Minnesota Orchestra at Home offers digital content including video, audio and educational materials through the categories of Watch, Listen and Learn, including videos from the Orchestra’s archives and newly-created “mini-concerts” directly from the homes of Orchestra musicians. Get updates on concerts and other information during this time. Conductor Sarah Hicks hosts a concert video experience for students in grades 3 through 6 that explores a variety of American music performed by Minnesota Orchestra musicians. Discover information on the featured composers and special multi-sensory activities from Twin Cities partners. It's available on-demand (free!) for one year.
- Twin Cities Film Fest: providing the community with thought provoking and entertaining American independent storytelling for $5.99. Part of the proceeds will go to local artists.
- Guthrie Theater: sign up for a virtual class designed for all skill levels
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities: take a virtual walk through the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus and discover why so many students choose Minnesota!
- Paisley Park: enjoy a virtual tour of Prince's Paisley Park with 360º views
- Twin Cities Virtual Stage: join this Facebook group and find new listings for virtual arts events in the Twin Cities as they are shared!
- Minneapolis Sports Venues: take a virtual tour of the outstanding sports venues the Minneapolis region has to offer.
- Art-a-Whirl: The popular Minneapolis art crawl has gone virtual this year, expanding beyond just one weekend. It will include hundreds of online artists shops, online art demonstrations and virtual studio tours.
- Music in the Parks: This more than 120 year tradition of bringing free entertainment to Minneapolis parks will continue. Watch your favorite local artists perform a concert virtually.
- Wilderness Inquiry: offering online resources to help support mental health, educational engagement, and social wellbeing of users during this time of social distancing. Activities include Nature Journaling and a Mississippi River crossword, with more being added weekly!
- Fort Snelling State Park: take a virtual tour of Fort Snelling and explore the shores of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers, the historic fort, trails and beaches - and much more!
- DNR Eagle Cam: animals lovers everywhere can enjoy a live feed of an eagle with its first brood since 2017!
- Minnesota State Parks and Trails: take a panoramic tour of over 80 state parks and trails to get your outdoor fix.
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum: home to 1,200 acres of gardens, tree collections and model landscapes, enjoy the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum's new interactive map!
- Minnehaha Falls: get your daily dose of Mother Nature with the 360º view of the falls!
- St. Anthony Falls Heritage Trail: take this self guided walking tour along the Mississippi River
- Grand Rounds Scenic Byway: bikers and non-bikers alike will be able to enjoy this self-guided biking tour on days that getting outside just isn't an option!