Top Events & Activities to Check Out at Art-A-Whirl 2023
Celebrating its 28th year, Art-A-Whirl is bringing together over 1,000 artists, galleries, bands, businesses, restaurants, and breweries through the annual event.
Art-A-Whirl: The Basics
What is it?
A celebration of art in the Northeast neighborhood of Minneapolis, brought to you by the Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA). With over 800 artists at more than 60 locations showcasing their work, Art-A-Whirl gives you a chance to meet and buy art from all types of different artists including painters, jewelers, photographers, and woodcarvers. This event is the largest of its kind in the country and includes opportunities to see private artist studios and galleries, demonstrations, mini-workshops, installations and special exhibitions. It’s free and open to public and includes unique events in coordination with local businesses throughout the area.
When is it?
May 19-21, 2023
Where is it?
Studio buildings, art galleries, home storefronts and local businesses in Northeast Minneapolis. See the map.
Use the online Directory to find members by type (artist, business, food & beverage, etc.), medium, location, and whether they are open for in-person visits or online only.
How to get around?
Art-a-Whirl provides free trolley rides that make stops at various artist locations throughout the NE Minneapolis Arts District. Check out the trolley schedule for exact times and locations. There are free parking lots near most artist locations and on street-parking, and Metro Transit is offering free bus rides throughout the weekend. Click here for information on how to get around.
I Bought Art Sticker
If you purchase original artwork make sure to receive an “I Bought Art” sticker. Participating local businesses will offer discounts to anyone wearing this sticker at Art-A-Whirl. See here for a list of deals.
Check the online shop with thousands of artworks by hundreds of NEMAA members! Shipping and curbside pick-up are available.
Fun Activities During Art-A-Whirl
- Painting and Calligraphy Demos: Demonstrations of Calligraphy by guest artist, Mary Anne Kinane on Friday at 6pm. Afterwards practice your calligraphy skills! Location: Grain Belt Bottling House - 79
- Exploring Oil and Cold Wax Medium: Show the mixing and application of the oil and cold wax medium on a cradled board. Location: Northrup King Building
- Equine Plein Air Painting Demonstration: Learn techniques to capture horses and other figures in motion in paintings, Location: Northrup King Building
See a full list of art demonstrations happening at Art-A-Whirl.
- Fused Glass Magnet Making: Create a 1" x 1" fused glass magnet with Potekglass! You will learn the basics of fusing and glass cutting. Come back two weeks after Art-A-Whirl to pick up your magnet. $15. Location: Flux Arts Building
- Polymer Clay Make and Take: Choose an item to cover with colorful polymer clay like a jar, a tin box or a light switch cover. Learn how to attach the clay to your item and take your creation home to bake in your oven. Location: Flux Arts Building
Take a look at all the interactive activities going on during Art-A-Whirl.
Exhibitions Open During Art-A-Whirl
- Book Arts Show at Friedli Gallery: Friedli Gallery Highlights Local and National Book Arts in West 7th’s Arts District Exhibition Curated by Artist Erin Maurelli
Fri Apr 7 — Sun May 21
6:00pm - 8:00pm
At Friedli Gallery and Studio
- At the Seams, In the Flesh: An installation of blown glass forms and mixed-media exploring human experiences of pain, memory, and healing.
Fri Apr 7 — Sun Jun 18
At Foci MN Center for Glass Arts
Other Related Events to Check Out at Art-A-Whirl
1. Indeed Brewing Company: Whirlygig
Ten years ago, Indeed Brewing threw their first Whirlygig during Art-a-Whirl weekend. A full decade later, it is now a full-blown music festival. Brimming with art, music, and beer, and the place to be!
2. Brew Bauhaus Labs: Liquid Zoo
This 3-day event put on by Brew Bauhaus Labs will feature different themed fun for each day of Art-A-Whirl.
Day 1: Kickoff Party Spectacular
Kick off this epic weekend with some music from Uncle Muskrat at 5:30pm, followed by The Color Pharmacy at 7:00pm and closing out the night at 8:30pm will be the gravity-defying, genre-bending funk and rock superstars Viva Knievel. Local culinary favorites Brasa and Parlour Bar will be serving up a selection of their signature dishes adjacent to the stage while the critically-acclaimed Animales BBQ will be located on the covered patio.
Day 2: All Day Music & Culinary Affair
Soak in a stellar mix of local and national music acts and indulge your tastebuds with three of the Twin Cities finest restaurants, Brasa, Parlour and Animales BBQ.
Day 3: Arts & Crafts Extravaganza
The weekend culminates on May 21st with a Made By Hands Art & Crafts Extra-Vaganza from 12pm-6pm. Artists and craftsfolk will be selling everything from paintings, jewelry, woodworkings, sweets, knits, ceramics, and more!
3. Food Trucks at Northrup King Building
Over 400 Artists and Guest Artists on Four Floors of this historic, century old warehouse will be sharing their art and processes with you. The building will also feature food trucks, live art demonstrations and artist talks, interactive activities for the family, and more!
4. 612 Brew
612 Brew is holding its tenth annual event during Art-A-Whirl®, Friday May 19th and Saturday May 20th. Located in the heart of the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District at Central and Broadway, 612Brew’s Art-A-Whirl® event is a celebration of all things that make the largest open studio tour in the United States a can’t miss weekend, including amazing art, local musicians, food trucks and great craft beer. The event will feature the art of NEMAA member artists, Dogfish Media and Melinda Wolff, food from Cheese Curd Tacos, Hana Bistro and Brothers Gutierrez, the always popular pop-up tattoo shop by Nokomis Tattoo along with live music on 612Brew’s outdoor amphitheater all weekend long.
5. Art-A-Whirl Art Project at Sociable Cider Werks
Join Your Bearded Artist for a POP UP Art-A-Whirl Art Project at at Sociable Cider Werks. The event will take place in the West Taproom inside Sociable from 12 to 4pm on Sunday, May 21. Come paint or color and see what fun can be created together.
6. Earl-A-Whirl at Earl Giles
Head to Earl Giles during Art-A-Whirl Weekend! They'll have food, drink, music, art, and much more!
Friday, May 19: 5pm to midnight
Saturday, May 20: Noon to midnight
Sunday, May 21: Noon to 6pm
7. Quincy Street Makers Market
Head to Quincy Hall in Northeast Minneapolis on Saturday, May 20th from noon to 8pm. Shop from dozens of local makers for one of the biggest markets of the year! This location is right In the center of the arts district, and adjacent to Earl Giles Distillery which is hosting a parking lot block party throughout the weekend featuring food trucks, music and more!
8. Pryes Art & Craft
Pryes ART & CRAFT is a 3-day brewery festival during Art-a-Whirl, celebrating live music, local artists, and delicious hand-crafted beer. Join us May 19, 20, & 21 in the taproom for an amazing party!