Minneapolis Parks Leads Way
That’s about 1.5 million more visits than 2013, an increase of 3.3%. Since 2005, annual visits have increased by more than 15 million.
The five most frequently visited parks in the regional system include:
- Minneapolis Chain of Lakes Regional Park – 5,476,400 visits
- Como Regional Park, Zoo, and Conservatory Special Recreation Feature – 4,311,000
- Mississippi Gorge Regional Park – 2,692,700
- Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park – 2,275,800
- Minnehaha Regional Park – 1,686,600
Overall, 27% of all visits in 2014 were to regional trails, and 73% were visits to regional parks, park reserves and special recreation features. But many visits to regional parks are for trail use. For example, although Anoka County Riverfront, Minneapolis Chain of Lakes, and Mississippi Gorge are regional parks, the majority of visits to these parks are for trail use. If the trail visits to these parks are included in the trail totals, about 40% of all visits were to regional trails. For The full report, view Metropolitan Council’s 2014 Annual Estimated Use.