- Meeting Rooms: 1
The State Theatre was built in 1921 and was lauded as one of the most technologically advanced theatres of its time. Throughout the years, the theatre was used a vaudeville house, then mainly as a cinema house from 1925-1978, then a church from 1978-1989. The Minneapolis Community Development Agency purchased the LaSalle Plaza block in 1989, including the State, as part of the LaSalle Plaza development. After nearly two years of renovation at a cost of $8.8 million, the State Theatre re-opened in November of 1991 with the Minnesota Opera’s production of Carousel. The restored proscenium spans almost the full width of the building and curves 100 feet above the stage. The six chandeliers in the house are original, as are the murals on the walls. Since the re-opening in 1991, the State has hosted live Broadway touring productions such as Avenue Q, Sweeney Todd and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and concerts featuring Ray LaMontagne, Spoon, Emmylou Harris, Gordon Lightfoot, Patti Smith, Buddy Guy and Nick Cave to name a few.