Did you know?
* The city is home to the HC Sibir Novosibirsk ice hockey team.
* Novosibirsk was one of the first towns in Russia to officially require primary education, starting in 1913.
* The Novosibirsk city zoo houses over 4000 species, including a rare lion related to the cape lion of South Africa. More than 60 cubs have been born at the zoo in 40 years. As a popular tourist destination in Russia, over 700,000 people visit each year.
*The city is home to Russia’s most powerful shortwave relay station east of the Ural Mountains.
*In 2009, Novosibirsk was one of the stops for an episode of the popular television show “The Amazing Race.”
* Hometown athlete is Alexander Karelin who is a 12-time world champion, three Olympic gold and one Olympic silver medal Greco-Roman wrestler.
* Novosibirsk is the third largest city in the Russian Federation after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.