Why is it a Sister City?
* As Minneapolis has the Mississippi, the great US river, Najaf is on the Tigris which watered the cradle of civilization.
* Najaf is similar to Minneapolis in that both communities include religious and medical centers. In addition to Seminaries and teaching hospitals there are scientific universities, colleges for humanitarian studies, as well as technical and vocational institutes. One of the most well known is Kufa University. Najaf has a teaching hospital as well.
* Najaf has a core of citizens committed to making friends across boundaries. Citizens from both cities have traveled to the other city meeting families, educators, medical providers and government officials.
* The Najaf Chamber of Commerce, established in 1952, supports small business and tourism in Najaf. The Chamber has 100’s of individual and business members.
* Minneapolis and Najaf both have strong commitments to strengthening and broadening our Sister City relationship.
Imam Ali Foundation
Iraqi American Reconciliation Project